25 Ways to Be a Better Person Today
Let’s make this year all about becoming better people!!!
By: Nora Dunn on 31 August 2011
I recently came across five principles for living well. They are:
Today — do not be angry.
Today — do not worry.
Today — be kind to yourself and others.
Today — be honest to yourself and others.
Today — work diligently.
– Usui Sensei, 1865-1926
On the whole, these principles would make you a better person. But they’re a bit intangible, and adapting them into your life right away could be overwhelming. What I like about them is the focus on today — just today. There are so many things we can do just today that can inspire some amazing life changes. Changes that will not only make you a better person, but can enrich your life, save you money, help others and the environment, and instigate a true sense of happiness. (See also: 44 Ways to Improve Your Health and Happiness)
Here are 25 practical ways to apply the above principles and be a better person — today.
1. Say thanks — and mean it. (Here are 25 really nice ways to do just that).
2. Smile at a stranger.
3. Learn to lean into vulnerability and express your true self. (Watch this video as an inspirational primer).
4. Perform one senseless act of kindness per day.
5. Take a sabbatical and learn something new about yourself in the process.
6. Do something you’ve never done before.
7. Set goals wisely — and reward yourself for making progress.
8. Start a conversation with a random stranger (in line at the grocery store for example).
9. Create a vision board to visualize — and achieve — the life of your dreams.
10. Help somebody.
11. Reflect on the amazing moments in your life, and figure out how to replicate them.
12. Be 100% honest for an entire day.
13. Be generous — but not to your own detriment.
14. Express disagreement towards injustice.
15. Learn something new. For example, learn how to change your life and design the lifestyle you want.
16. Interact with nature. Go for a walk using all your senses, start a garden, or just admire a beautiful sunset.
17. Have fun with a brainstorm session of 100 ways to change your life in 20 minutes.
18. Cook a meal for somebody.
19. Save money. (Here are 37 ways start saving today).
20. Try letting somebody in line in front of you or driving consciously and kindly, and see if it actually makes you late. (You might surprise yourself).
21. Give your kids a leg up in life and make finance a family affair.
22. Learn about a worthwhile cause, and get involved.
23. Choose three ways to be nicer to the environment and implement them. (For example, reduce your standby power consumption, make your office green, start a coffee cup revolution, or conserve water).
24. Create your own definition of financial freedom, and inject a dose of passion into your budget.
25. Regain your youth, and play with some children.
Have a blessed day
Love & Light